The department is in charge of:
- Selection, management and development of both printed and electronic collections of information resources at the main library on campus, the Universitetsbiblioteket (UB). This applies to purchases as well as, interlibrary loans, donations and Swedish legal deposit.
- Metadata and knowledge organization, i. e. making the collections accessible via e. g. attributing subject headings and cataloguing in the national library catalogue LIBRIS.
- The textbook collection at UB.
- Working with and development of the functions acquisitions and cataloguing which incorporate policy-making and strategic planning.
- Administration, accessibility, analysis, development and evaluation of the library's digital resources.
- Ordering and arrangement of the library’s physical collections.