Umeå university researchers are eligible for discounts on article processing charges for open access publishing with a number of publishers. The discounts are available through library subscriptions and memberships.
Some discounts are restricted to particular journals rather than all of the publisher’s titles, and some only apply based on the affiliation of the corresponding author. This is a summary of publishers’ conditions for eligibility. Please check the publishers’ websites for additional information.
Keep in mind that in many cases, you can meet requirements for open access publishing by publishing a version of your article in DiVA free of charge. Self-archiving
Deal with publisher covers full article processing charge
Springer Compact 2016-2018
Umeå University researchers are eligible for free open access publishing in Springer’s Open Choice Journals through a national agreement.
- Corresponding author must be affiliated with Umeå University
- The agreement does not include Springer’s open access journals or their monograph series (such as Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
- Researchers retain copyright through a Creative Commons license
Once an article has been accepted for publication the corresponding author will receive an email from Springer with a link to the platform MyPublication. It is important to register your affiliation to Umeå University at this point. Make sure you register your university e-mail as well, rather than a personal one.
The agreement covers approximately 1,700 subscription journals from Springer (Open Choice) (Excel document).Springer Open access agreement for Swedish authors
Royal Society of Chemistry 2015-2017
Through purchasing an RSC journal package Umeå University in return have the right to publish a certain number of articles free of charge in the RSC journals (the initiative is called the “Gold for Gold”).
- The university has 11 vouchers per year = 11 articles can be published free of charge. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get a voucher
- When all vouchers have been used additional articles may be published with a 15% discount on the article processing charge
- The Gold for Gold-model will continue to apply through 2017 for Swedish authors
SCOAP3 – Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics, 2017-2019
Umeå University researchers may publish open access free of charge in the project’s 12 journals.SCOAP3’s website
Deal with publisher provide discounts on article processing charges
American Chemical Society
- Author must request that the discount amount is deducted from the price
- $ 1,000 discount on open access publishing in an ACS journal
- Members of the ACS receives additional $ 1.500 discount
Additional fee for the Creative Commons license (CC BY or CC-BY-NC-ND) $ 1,000, for members of the ACS $ 500.Information on ACS AuthorChoice and publishing fees
- Applies to all IOS Press journals
- Publication Fee $ 800 (discount amount deducted) for open access publishing
Independent Scholarly Publishers Group (ISPG)
10% discount for publication in any of the following open access journals:Animal FrontiersBiology OpenBone and Joint ResearchCBE-Life Sciences EducationEndocrine ConnectionsEuropean Respiratory ReviewG3: Genes | genomes | Genetics
- Author or institution must request that the discount amount is deducted from the price
- 50% discount for open access journals (not hybrid journals)
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS)
- Publication Fee £ 1500 / US $ 3000 / € 2200 (discount amount deducted) for open access publishing
- The discounted fee must be indicated on the billing form
- Publication Fee $ 1,000 (discount amount deducted) for open access publishing.
- Applies only to Biochemical Journal
- Members of the Biochemical Society (for at least two years) also receive discount on the fee